Fingbox Release Notes
This page covers the continuous updates we’re making to the Fingbox product. Watch this space and see how the product evolve.
28 March 2019
Fing app 8.1.7 Android / 8.1.6 iOS / Fingbox agent 1.14.0
- Improved ISP rating interaction
- Allow to sort ISP scoreboard by performance / user rating / distribution
- Fix Google Sign in on iOS
- Longer timeouts for speed test upload
- Recent speed test problems experienced due to issues with our partner MLab are now fixed on both Fing App & Fingbox
3 March 2019
- Added new translations: Vietnamese, Indonesian, Russia
- Bugfixes and improvements, including fix for freeze on Japanese language
- Fix to inability to dismiss keyboard on iPhone XS Max
25 February 2019
Internet provider info:
– Includes with logo, wikipedia info
– Get in contact with ISP via phone/twitter/facebook when available
– [New] Improved Bonjour engine to include additional details from the network (iOS ONLY)
– [New] New languages available: Indonesian, Russian, Vietnamese (POSTPONED TO 8.1.5)
Fixes & improvements:
– Allow to add Access Point in Fingbox directly from WiFi speed test and WiFi protection views (no need to re-scan the network)
– Fixed timezone issue
– Fixed storing/updating of Fingbox location
28 January 2019
- Improved mobile speed test sessions, with new animation
- ISP Rating for Fingbox
- Drastic speed up of App startup time
- Improved support for iPhone X, XR, XS
- Improved support for iOS 9 and 10
- Improved user interface performances
- Faster port scan service
- Fixed devices info cut off in half on Apple Devices
- Fixed duplicate Dismiss button on Apple Watch notifications
- Improved speed test sessions, with new animation
- ISP Rating for Fingbox
- Improved user interface performances
- Fixed crash in contact list screen
- Fixed crash during devices selection on Bandwidth Analysis
- Fixed crash on Alert settings
* Bugfixes on Mobile speed test
* Show distribution of ratings for each Internet Provider
* Fixed text cut on Android on most of devices, using standard and large font size
* Fixed contact list showing empty contact names on iOS
19 December 2018
Fing App 8.1.0
- Mobile Speed test (Read all the details in the blog post)
- Fixes (reverted port scan to previous state)
5 November 2018
Fing App 8.0.0
- A Brand new look for Fing! All the features you love, displayed in a fresh and crisp new User Interface
- Do you prefer a simpler device list or a technical view? Use the new “View” setting to switch views on the fly
- Supports Password Managers in Sign-in page
- [iOS] Improved startup time and display times
- [iOS] The night is dark and full of terrors. Night mode is now available on iOS.
1 October 2018
Fingbox firmware 1.11.9
- Minor bug fixes on Fingbox agent engines
14th September 2018
Fing App 7.2.0 Released on Android and iOS
- New feature: block devices by default. Disabled by default, can be enabled in Fingbox settings
- New feature: monthly Internet speed report. Enabled by default, can be disabled in Fingbox settings
- Internet Speed: ranking now includes also ISP reliability
- Mobile tools: new and improved Trace-route and Ping tools
- Android: workflow to enable location for case
- Improved Android App Settings
- Added “Notify when enters and leaves the network” setting shortcut in user views
- Fixed: device list is flickering during search
- Fixed: export of discovery state fails
- Fixed: capture of pictures from camera fails on certain devices
- Fixed: removal of local network is not updating networks list after removal
10 August 2018
Fing App 7.2.0 Released on Android and iOS
15 June 2018
Fing App 7.0.3 Released on Android and iOS
* Digital Presence displays day/night time frames
* fixed crashes on some devices
* fixed VoiceOver missing
* fixed elapsed time on Fingbox
* fixed unable to trust access point / gateway
* fixed jumping keyboard while editing devices
* fixed promo banner not dismissing on “Not now”
* fixed access point marker not visible in device list
* Digital Presence displays day/night time frames
* minor fixes (since 7.0.2)
11 June 2018
Fing App 7.0.2
Bug fixes and improvements on Android
8 June 2018
Fing App 7.0.1
We just released Fing 7.0.1 on Android with the following changes:
* Fixed crashes on Android 4.4 KitKat
* Fixed landscape rotation issues
* Fixed invalid date display in user panel
7 June 2018
Fing App 7.0.0
- New navigation and layout for all Fing app users
- New features for Fingbox users
Tap on the toolbar to select a network. Change networks from any screen in the app.
See the timeline of changes in the “EVENTS” tab.
All account & settings are now grouped together.
All new Fingbox features & layout
Chart of the Digital Presence of your household.
A new look and feel for Device Blocking.
Security and performance events have moved to the “NETWORK” tab.
Easily enable/disable all Wi-Fi checks and events from the UI.
4 May 2018
Fingbox Firmware 1.10.9
Bug fixes and minor improvements in network discovery engine
27 March 2018
Fing App 6.7.1
Bugfixes and UI Improvements
Bugs have been squashed!
- Added an in-app menu option to display app help from our support page @ help.fing.io
- You will now be prompted with a release notes page whenever a new version of the app is installed
- We now provide also Traditional Chinese localization (Taiwan and Hong Kong)
- On iOS the bottom bar is now automatically hidden when you get into nested views, to gain more visual room
- The DigitalFence radio device list has been improved by removing the tabbed interface in favor of a more user-friendly filterable view
13 March 2018
Fing App 6.7.0 and Firmware 1.9.38
The DigitalFence™ 2.0 has been released!
This release includes major improvements to the Fingbox DigitalFence™.
- The longer the DigitalFence™ is running, the more data about devices is collected for you. Data will currently show from the previous month period
- Now it’s much easier to find devices that are in your home but not connected to your WiFi
- Watch/Exclude devices to monitor and get alerts about them
- View New devices, Known devices, and Anonymized devices
- Use the comprehensive DigitalFence™ settings to reduce noise from devices you are not interested in
- Filter the dashboard by Time/Date, Device Type and Range (Very far and Very near Fingbox)
- New tagging system to find out which devices appear every day, on weekdays only, or on certain days like Thursday
- By default, Anonymized Devices, Access Points, and Devices in your network are filtered out of the DigitalFence™. You like you can play with these settings in any way you wish, to zoom in on the devices you want to see.
Read the support article and watch the video to learn more about DigitalFence™.
22 February 2018
Fing App 6.6.0 and Firmware 1.9.33
- Internet Performance Chart now available in the app
- Detailed email report from where you will be able to visualize both summary statistics and a detailed internet performance history of your network for each day of the month
26 January 2018
Fing App 6.5.1
- General fixes
- Dark theme fix
- Fixes on new features
24 January 2018
Fing App 6.5.0 and Firmware 1.9.16
Automated Speed Tests:
- Automated Speed Tests released and automatically activated on all Fingboxes
- Run up to 6 Automated Speed Tests per day at the times you prefer
- Get network performance data over long periods of time and get reports on the trends and anomalies of your ISPs performance. This feature is also particularly handy for those of you concerned about your ISPs promised speed and level of service.
- By default, the feature is already enabled. It can be turned off by navigating to Internet Speed -> Clicking on the CLOCK icon -> and deselecting all the hours of the day so none are highlighted in blue.
- Clicking the BOOK icon leads to a history of all speed tests
- This release includes a new ISP ranking feature based on speed test results from Fingbox users in your City and Country
- ISP ranking by City and Country can be accessed by clicking the SCOREBOARD button
- See how your ISP ranks compared to other Fingbox users
- Compare your Internet Experience with the average ISP experience of others
9 January 2017
Fing Mobile App 6.4.2 Released (Android only)
- Fing 6.4.2 just for Android, with a few fixes on notifications bug we’ve seen recently on Android 8.x.
- All voluntary feedback are now sent to email@example.com
14 December 2017
Mobile App: Fing 6.4.1
- Fix of “log out issue” on iOS
- Fixes on Android notifications
- Support for holiday events. We will generate a few events that you’ll only be able to see using Fing 6.4.1. Learn more
21 November 2017
Mobile App: Fing 6.4.0 / Fingbox Agent Firmware: 1.9.3
- Dedicated view to manage alert settings from the Search & Filter popup (Learn more)
- Scheduling of Internet Pause for Fingbox (Learn more)
7 November 2017
Fing and Fingbox App updates rolled out the week of 6 November 2017.
Internet Security 2.0
- Improved graphics and user experience
- On-demand Internet Security Scanning
- Reporting of new ports discovered since previous scans
- Ability to close ports via UPnP
- Evil Twin Access Point Detection (e.g. KRACK Attack Detection which we announced that Fingbox detects and alerts about)
- Ability to add Trusted Gateways, to prevent alerts on routers that change network gateway frequently
Read more about the latest Internet Security Features
Device Search, Sort, and Filter (for both Fingbox and Fing App users)
New Device Search, Sort, & Filter capabilities accessible from the main device list on the Fing App.
- Change the sort order. You can now sort by status, priority, favorite, important etc.
- Filter out devices by matching criteria
- Search for matching text on devices (Android only). You can now search by name, brand, IP address etc.
- Internet Outage Recording: Fingbox now records Internet outages on a Network.
- LED quiet mode: Fingbox now only uses full LED brightness when attention is required.
- Slower Network Discovery Mode: There is now a Slower Network Discovery Mode option that can be enabled by users if they are experiencing issues with network speed or specific devices.
19 October 2017
1.8.12 rolled out on 19-Oct-2017.
- KRACK Attack Detection: Fingbox will be able to detect and report KRACK attacks which are a new type of malicious attack on WiFi devices. An enhancement to the Wireless Intrusion Detection System (WIDS) has been made so that Fingbox will be able to detect any “Evil Twin” Access Point attack. Evil Twin Access Point attacks are the basis of KRACK and also other malicious WiFi attacks which hackers use to steal your personal information and data. Learn more about how Fingbox protects your network from KRACK attacks
9 October 2017
Fing 6.2.1 rolled out on 10-Oct-2017.
- A new settings page has been added called “Fingbox”. This page provides access to the “LED Dimmer” settings, to the version number of Fingbox software and to a link to the online support pages.
- All entries in the log pages are now grouped by weeks and report the exact time of the event
- Internet Speed highlights outliers with respect to usual values of speed tests. The bigger the difference, the bigger the arrow.
- Notification sounds have been enabled
2 October 2017
1.8.0 rolled out on 2-Oct-2017.
- FIX: Device discovery more lightweight to cope better with all networks/devices.
- IMPROVEMENT: Improved Internet Security Check remote scan: ports are not scanned in order, to cope better with firewall temporary anti-burst ban that can produce an almost empty set of found ports.
25 September 2017
1.7.4 rolled out on 25-Sep-2017.
FIX: Device discovery interferes with some WiFi networks causing a slowdown or WiFi drop.
FIX: Device discovery causing some devices to disconnect from the network.
21 September 2017
1.6.5 rolled out on 21-Sep-2017.
- FIX: We fixed the issues of the Internet Security Check on routers with older UPnP implementations
- IMPROVEMENT: Fingbox engine configuration can now be updated without upgrading the firmware (quicker response to performance and security issues)
- IMPROVEMENT: We added a watchdog that restarts Fingbox when issues are detected with the operating system.
- IMPROVEMENT: We added a more detailed diagnostics for failures of Internet Speed Test (we’re working with our partner M-Lab to extend test coverage and reliability)
12-13 September 2017
Fingbox agent 1.6.X released on 12-Sep-2017. The below features are currently live on Android and will be released on iOS by the end of the week.
Internet Security Check
This feature was formerly known as the Hacker Threat Check. Fingbox now shows you open ports and vulnerabilities of your network that your router exposes to the public Internet. Click on Internet Security from the Fingbox Dashboard to get your report. The security checks are repeated periodically – on a weekly basis – and you get alerts when new ports or vulnerabilities are found. Learn more
Parental Control – 1 Tap Pause User
Easily pause all the devices belonging to a user with a single tap. You can also resume the internet for paused devices in a single tap. Click on a user from the dashboard to see the list of owned devices and pause their access to the Internet.
- Tap on a user to quickly see assigned devices and actions
- Important notifications have been moved to the top for better visibility
- The list of “paused” users and devices have been moved to the bottom
- The Recent events button has been moved up on the main status header
- Tiles have been reorganized to show the latest measured values
RECENT EVENTS LIST
- When a device marked “personal” changes state, the related event shows the device owner.
- Search bar added to the Contact List
- Colorful initials for newly created users
- Assign device to a user directly from Device Details
- Assign device to a user directly from the “New Device Found” Security Notification
- Show and Edit the device owner in Device Details
- New message when the Fing app finds a Fingbox that’s already been activated on the network
FIXES AND IMPROVEMENTS
- Agent firmware running version 1.6.x
- Fixes and improvements to network discovery: more lightweight discovery of multicast protocols like UPnP and Bonjour
- Fix to UPnP protocol that could cause slowdown of streaming devices
- Better detection and reporting of M-Lab server issues while performing Internet Speed Test
5 September 2017
Fingbox agent 1.5.0 released on 5-Sep-2017
- Network discovery improvements with a lightweight network scan (95% lighter)
- Internet Speed Test bug fixes and improvements (detect and report M-Lab server issues)
- Ready to run Internet Security checks when released officially in the mobile apps
14 – 17 August 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 14 -17 August 2017.
Fingbox Web App
- The Fing Web App now supports Fingboxes as well. Now you can Login to the Web App and manage aspects of your Fingbox.
- This integration with the Web App covers the basics of Fingbox “storage”: You can now see all your Fingboxes, view network details, access device details, edit device names, alerts, settings, and logs, and even block and pause devices from the web!
7 – 11 August 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 7 -11 August 2017.
- These steps weren’t needed as they are already in the manual
- It’s more clear that during the on boarding, the App is actively looking for Fingbox and will activate it
24 – 28 July 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 24-28 July 2017.
- New device alerts LEDs are now more refined. Now the blue LEDs will flash when a new device is discovered until you click “Got It” or “Block” on the device from the Fingbox Dashboard. The flashing will continue for 24 hours to remind you to take action from your Fingbox Dashboard.
17 – 21 July 2017
Fingbox Improvements made during the week of 17-21 July 2017.
- It’s now possible to choose a specific personal device (long press)
- New layout for Bandwidth Analysis data and chart
- More network details in WiFi Sweet Spot
- Device timeout is now customizable
- Several fixes on Fingbox screen
- Improved security alerts with user-friendly description.
- Auto-discovery of multiple access points during onboarding.
- Tuned the auto time out for Apple devices